Whether you're a new or experienced AR rifle owner, there are some things you should keep in mind to ensure your rifle's continued proper function and overall longevity.
ARs have been a rite of passage in the shooting community for many years now, but now that they're the weapon of choice for enthusiasts, it's essential to know how to maintain them properly. This post will cover the most important aspects of keeping your gun clean and in proper working order.
Importance Of Keeping Your Rifle Clean
While most gun owners understand the importance of maintaining their weapons, those just getting started might not be aware of how vital it is. A dirty rifle is one of the most common causes of a jam. It may seem like an easy fix, but it can lead to many problems. Some reasons why you should take time out of your day and make sure that you are cleaning your gun as much as possible include:
- A dirty rifle can cause a jam because dirt and normal wear and tear on your firearm alter how it shoots ammunition.
- Poorly maintained rifles can lead to injuries from accidental discharges, resulting in serious or even fatal consequences.
- Dirty rifles may cause misfires due to fouling from corrosion or other sources such as sand, grit, or dust build-up in the barrel.
- An AR is an expensive and beautiful piece of machinery that should be treated with respect.
- You will look like you don't know what you are doing if you rock up to a range with a filthy rifle.
Essentially, keeping your rifle clean not only ensures that it remains in good condition but also makes sure that you can use it efficiently.
How To Keep Your Your AR In Good Condition
Cleaning your rifle can be a challenge, but it is essential if you want to maintain it and prevent it from getting damaged. The most important thing to remember is that cleaning your firearm should always be done in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions.
Aside from that, it can really expedite the process if you invest in a cleaning kit.
A Cleaning Kit Is A Good Investment
One of the benefits of investing in a rifle cleaning kit is that it helps extend your guns' service life and effectiveness. This can save you money in the long run by preventing any damage to your weapons. These cleaning kits are often made with high-quality materials, and they come with a variety of accessories. This allows you to customize your equipment according to your specific needs to get the best performance out of it.
If you're looking for a rifle cleaning kit, consider investing in one with all the necessary accessories. You should also ensure that you get the correct equipment for your particular rifle. For example, an AR cleaning kit will contain slightly different things than a handgun cleaning kit will. Although they will have some similarities, you should aim to get a firearm-specific one. Regarding AR kits, you should ensure that any you choose contains the following items:
- Cleaning mat: To protect the table underneath from damage caused by oils and lubricants when you clean your rifle on it.
- Cleaning rod: In order to avoid damage, it is best to select a cleaning rod made from softer materials than your firearm barrel.
- Brushes:Make sure the brush you choose won't damage the barrel's interior. Nylon brushes are best for lighter cleaning, and bronze brushes work well for stubborn carbon removal.
- Jags: Jags are small attachments attached to the end of the cleaning rod that keeps cleaning patches in place as you push the rod through the bore.
- Cleaning patch: These are the bits of material that catch and remove deposits inside your rifle's barrel. Although they should only be used once, they are inexpensive and can be bought in bulk.
- Cleaning chemicals: In order to clean and protect a firearm, there are four basic types of chemicals available:
- Solvent: These are used to clean the bore of carbon, lead, and other things that can cause bore fouling.
- Degreaser: This works exactly how you might imagine, removing grease and oil build-up.
- Lubricant:A well-lubricated rifle is a good rifle. Lubricant keeps the actions working correctly and residues the chances of rust.
- Protector: This is the final part of the puzzle and protects your rifle from moisture that can cause corrosion and rust.
- Bore snake: A device for quickly and efficiently cleaning out a firearm's barrel. It is recommended to use a bore snake after you have finished shooting.
Store It In A Gun Safe When Not In Use
A gun safe is an integral part of a home's protection and safety. It protects your family and the things in your home from accidental injury, theft and keeps your gun protected against bumps and scrapes. When it comes to the right gun safe, you need to think about a few key factors. The first is the size of the safe.
The second is how many guns you have and their types. The third factor you need to consider is how often your weapon will be used and whether or not you have extra accessories.
Use A Dehumidifier
Dehumidifiers are used to lower the moisture levels in homes and offices. But did you know that dehumidifiers can also be used to keep your guns safe? A dehumidifier is an essential tool for storing and keeping your guns safe from humidity. The more moisture a firearm is exposed to, the greater the chance for rust and corrosion.
A dehumidifier can help eliminate these problems by pulling moisture out of the air and removing it from the firearm's barrel and other parts. The best ones are mostly automatic, which means that they can continuously dehumidify the air without any human input.
Proper maintenance of your AR rifle will ensure that it is always ready for you in times of danger and also ensure that it will serve you well for many years. The cleaning of a firearm is not a challenging endeavor, but it does require some basic knowledge.
Cleaning and storing your gun will make you and your loved ones safer, and you will have a much better relationship with your firearm.