Do you need a most comfortable Sofa Bed for sleeping? Read our top 5 best sofa bed reviews to acquaint yourself with the types to make an informed decision.
Sofa beds are perfect for people that like to have an extra bed in the house without having to spend as much or without having to consume that much space. These are growing very popular since they come in features that make them comfortable and beneficial for the users.
If you are looking to buy one, then the ultimate guide to buying the best sofa bed is briefly discussed below. Our top 5 best sofa bed reviews will help you find the right one that suits your preferences along with being the best in quality.
Compare Sleeper Sofa
|Our Picks||Legs||Allowed weight||Best for sleeping position||Link|
|DHP Futon Emily||Tiltedt||About 270 pounds||Back overweight people|
|Novogratz Brittany Sleeper Sofa||Regular||Regular weight||Back sleepers|
|DHP Premium Sofa Bed||Extra bar in the middle||400 pounds||Side sleepers|
|Modern Sofa Bed||Chrome legs||Regular weight||Stomach sleepers|
|Best Choice Products Futon Sofa Bed||Wooden legs||Regular weight||Relaxing position|
What makes up a sofa bed?
A sofa bed consists of two basic parts which are discussed below:
The most common frames are made up of iron or wood. Both are durable and provide better support to the weight exerted on the sofa bed as compared to other materials. The frame requires smoothness and durability which will ensure that it remains to look impeccable and does not cause problems to you.
The mattress of these sofa beds is very important so that the sleeper can benefit with the comfort or otherwise. You can choose between the various kinds of mattresses like spring, latex, foam, and coil.
However, since most of the time they are bought in case of a guest arriving, it is smart to go for memory foam. Memory foam tends to shape the mattresses according to the body and bounces back to the original form. Some of these have separate mattresses in the sitting part while others have separate on the sleeping end.
And if you still want to learn more about the mattress, go to our full mattress guide here.
For whom sofa bed style is best
If you are thinking of buying a sofa bed for you, then it is important to think of why you want this item. You might want to keep it in the living room for standard furniture which will make the choice a little different. If you are always entertaining guests, then you will want a good quality one that can handle the weight and be highly comfortable and durable.
If you are considering one for your usage, then you can easily opt for the type that suits your lumbar problems according to your weight. Each need of yours will determine the preferences of the sofa bed accordingly.
If you are looking to get one for your dorm or your small room, then it is ideal to get the simplest design with a Clic clac lock or a lift and pull design. On the other hand, if you have a big house and want to fit it into your living room, you can even go for an ottoman style futon.
See our How to Choose a Mattress Fit for You overview here.
Our Expert's Sofa Bed Reviews
1. DHP Futon Emily – Best for back sleep
- Sleeping space is queen size
- Faux leather and linen
- The conversion process is easy
- Tilted legs to support the weight
- Comfort for back sleepers
A downside that you will find in this futon is the warm mattress. Unlike many types of foam that are ventilated and breathable, this futon is not in that category. You will have to use a matter topper or just have to sleep warm on this couch.
If you are a back sleeper, you will find this futon to be working best for you even if you are overweight. It fits well into your house in almost any room without ruining the theme of your furniture. This couch will surely provide you a great extra bed for when guests come over.
- The couch comes in a verity of different colors
- The tilted legs allow better support
- Up to 272 Kg can be exerted on this couch
- The couch is lightweight
- It does not allow you to sleep cool
- The cover is not washable or waterproof
- The couch is not hypoallergenic
2. Novogratz Brittany Sleeper Sofa – Best for Guests
- Memory foam
- Encased coil cushion
- Many colors to choose from
- Big sleeping space
- Big sleeping space
Despite all the great qualities, the couch seems to have a hard time pulling out which is a downside of the sofa bed. It takes manual labor and a lot of inconvenience in space as well.
This Futon couch is perfect if you tend to have guests coming over all the time and you are looking for an extra bed. The best part of it is that helps in contouring the individual’s body shape to provide maximum support and comfort.
- The memory foam helps in distributing the weight
- CertiPur approved
- Encased coil cushion helps in seating pressure
- The unfolding of the couch is inconvenient
- The armrests are uncomfortable when sleeping
3. DHP Premium Sofa Bed – Best for heavyweight persons
- Wooden frame
- Includes a coil cushioned mattress
- Sleeping space is for two people
- Faux black leather
- Bar in the center of the pullout
One downside of this futon is that it is hard to assemble. Most people that do not know how to work with tools will need to have a professional and pay extra for the complicated assembly.
This futon is perfect for those of you who are overweight and would like to sleep on your back. The endless support from the couch helps keep it durable; whereas, the included mattress targets the right points to ensure no back problems.
- The mattress is included with the frame.
- The couch is with coil cushions for support
- Sleeping space for two people
- It can hold up to 400 pounds
- Hard to assemble
- It has a complicated assembly process
- The back cushions are not attached and fall off
4. Modern Sofa bed – Best for regular use
- Can be changed into a chaise lounger
- The couch can be converted into a plain lounger
- Comes with two pillows
- Ample sleeping space
- Chrome legs
- Easy assembling and de-assembling
One of the downsides of the product is that it does not have a mattress that is responsible for targeting special pressure points. These may not reduce the comfort but they do not do any special benefits to the user as well.
This sofa bed is perfect for people that have people in their home that need most rest at home but who do not like lying all the time. This is also perfect for people that sleep on their stomachs since the pillows provide that kind of support.
- The couch comes with two pillows
- It has chrome legs for support
- It is highly versatile and can be converted into a chaise as well
- It can be put together and separated through a Velcro
- There are so special features in the mattress
- The foam is too hot and is not sleeping cool
5. Best Choice Sofa Bed – Best for small spaces
- Simple and sleek
- Very easy to change into a bed
- Wooden structure and legs
- Detailed stitching makes it stylish
- Available in various colors
One downside of this Futon is that it has upholstery made of PU leather which makes it very dangerous to people that have a sensitive respiratory system or children that can be addicted to the smell.
If you are living in a small house and need a stylish couch for your living room, this is the perfect option for you. You will find this to be fitting anywhere and very convenient to those who like to lie down while enjoying their book or watching television.
- The support is wooden along with the legs
- It can conveniently be changed into a bed
- There are two color options
- It is small and easy to fit anywhere
- The mattress does not target pressure points
- It does not come with pillows
- PU leather can be dangerous for children
You may be love to read more about Top 10 Rated Mattress Brands in 2021.
The operating mechanism of sofa beds are different and an important factor to consider while deciding to buy. The following are a few styles :
Lift and pull
This is one of the most popular styles of unfolding the sofa bed. This system is simply what it sounds like. You lift the seats of the futon and hear a clicking sound which ensures that the lock has been released and you let it fall into a flat position.
The folding style is a simple couch style that can easily be folded like a sheet and then unraveled to make into a bed.
The backrest of these sofa beds is folded and can be unfolded with the pulling of the lower panel. The same technique is used backward to unfold the sofa bed
The Clic Clac system is known for the sound it makes during the mechanism. The lower panel is lifted and then bent backward until it makes a Clic sound. This sound ensures that the lock is unraveled and the bed can be straight.
This style is the most modern as it has a spate frame that pulls out. You can put a mattress on it of your choice and sleep on it like a regular bed.
Conclusively, we can see how there are many different styles of sofa beds that are available in the market. Companies have come up with so many different types that it does not matter the size of the house that you are living in, you can have one according to your needs.
The selection in mattresses gives users the option to easily pick their comfort level and help in targeting their body type for better sleep and healthier body postures at night.
So if you are going to shop a sofa bed, keep in mind a few above-mentioned factors and you can enjoy the best one for sleeping and relaxing.