Artificial intelligence helps students in many ways. With AI, they learn quickly what they need. Teachers make learning engaging and control their students.
Education is constantly changing. New methods and approaches are being developed, fresh research is emerging, the achievements of scientific and technological progress are becoming part of learning. In such circumstances, to rely on the educational paradigm of the early 20th century, when knowledge was learned once and for all, and the set of knowledge itself was firmly fixed, is meaningless – it is outdated.
Technology makes it possible to combine and apply modern approaches to learning. It is hoped that with their help, a breakthrough will happen in the education system, children and adults will no longer have to pore over textbooks for years.
Already today, you can try this free casino games to learn how the game of luck works or use numerous learning platforms to find out more about maths or learn languages. Thanks to these services, learning will not only become more exciting but also more effective.
Reasons Why AI Is Effective for Education
AI is significant for educational purposes for many reasons:
- Individual approach. The problem with any education is its universality. When an educational track suits everyone, it means that it is not perfect for anyone. Artificial Intelligence allows you to select a program for each student individually, taking into account a lot of features. The parameters for selecting an educational track can include data on tests taken, information on interests and social status, results of previous classes, psychological profile, and much more.
- Up-to-date education. Another problem with education is the obsolescence of the knowledge that is taught. Even private educational services can be difficult to cope with the influx of information and the pace of development of modern society.
- Personal interaction. It is great if you can afford lessons with a personal teacher. But, as practice shows, usually good teachers are not enough, and individual lessons are quite expensive. But even here artificial intelligence can help, not only by issuing tasks according to a dynamic algorithm, but also by monitoring the state of the learner. A striking example of such analysis is the use of video surveillance systems in Chinese schools.
- A new kind of education. Not surprisingly, it is in the area of learning that AI has enormous potential. After all, education is ultimately about getting information. And information is air for AI. We are already seeing the process of personalizing learning for each user based on AI.
- Reliability and control. During the coronavirus, the practice of taking exams from home became the norm. But it generated a lot of problems related to cheating. Here, the use of AI allows a radical solution to all issues of trust even with the simplest algorithms. It is impossible to keep track of every examinee manually. But with a webcam connected, it is easy to track a student's actions during checkpoints. Already companies are using proven algorithms to monitor a person's gaze direction, detect suspicious actions, peeks, and prompts.
The integration of artificial intelligence and machine learning is actively used by Duolingo. This allows the entire educational process to be personalized, from pre-testing to adapting lessons to individual progress and the dynamics of individual language skills.
With a huge user-base, an individual approach to training seems like a challenge. But the project team is not afraid of difficulties! Machine learning algorithms are constantly working on preparing training materials, adapting the complexity to the level of each user.
First, AI personalizes courses by adapting to each student's strengths, weaknesses, and preferences. Artificial intelligence pays attention to what vocabulary users have, what grammar examples are challenging for them, and what content they like.
AI also uses natural language processing to create interactions with chatbots, giving students a chance to practice speaking in real time. This gives them a chance to practice their skills and gain confidence before they have to speak to real people.
The technologies of automatic speech recognition, natural language processing and Adaptive Learning Systems are widely used in other online language schools. In particular, they are successfully used in the Chinese project Liulishuo, an app for learning English.
The emphasis is on developing speaking and listening comprehension. Reading and writing are the second stages of learning.
University of Georgia
Artificial intelligence isn't just used by language schools. It's being implemented in all segments of online education. The University of Georgia uses an AI-powered chatbot that tells applicants about enrollment, academic programs, and financial matters.
Carnegie Learning's MATHiaU uses artificial intelligence to pull in failing students in math, helping the instructor tailor the learning experience to the student's needs.
This project uses artificial intelligence to provide individualized math instruction to students. Students begin with an assessment test, and then the AI can customize questions based on the student's knowledge level and how they interact with the material.
Querium analyzes the steps students take when solving a STEM problem and gives initial feedback on what they are doing right or wrong. This prevents them from learning the wrong answer to the problem and saves teachers a huge amount of coursework that needs to be corrected.