January 19, 2012
The Top Ten Impacts of Big Data
It already seems like the websites you visit know more about you than you know about yourself and this is just the beginning. Every day you're helping to generate masses more data, which computers and AI systems are getting better at using. How long will it be before the predictive power of these systems becomes so powerful, they're almost magical?
IO9 has just published a list of the Ten Ways Big Data is Creating The Science Fiction Future. Their list includes:
1. Dating sites that can predict when you're lyingCheck out IO9 for the full article.
2. Social networks already know who you know
3. Surveillance gets really Orwellian, really fast
4. Recommendation engines get much smarter
5. Scientists and doctors can make sense of your genome — and so can insurers
6. Journalists know when your habits are changing
7. Intensely personal data gets crunched
8. Early detection mitigates catastrophes
9. The US electrical grid finally enters the digital age
10. An accurate weather forecast
One thing the I09 list did not state, was that big data can actually be used to predict the future. Google is already using big data processing to predict the future via a start-up company it is invested in. Recorded Future uses web analysis tools and large datasets to actually attempt predictions. Whether it is investing, managing product development, or conducting intelligence research, the web is loaded with valuable yet disparate information. Recorded Future identifies predictive signals for any industry or subject.
Tags: AI, artificial intelligence, big data, computation, computational intelligence, predict the future, predictions, science fiction
33rd Square explores technological progress in AI, robotics, genomics, neuroscience, nanotechnology, art, design and the future as humanity encroaches on The Singularity.